Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Get in the Game...of Life

Welcome to Inspired2Lose, where we encourage one another in our attempts to lose unhealthy habits as well as create lifelong good habits.

I realized this week that it feels good to be back in the game.

A few weeks ago, I was desperate. I was tired of lying to myself that I didn't care what I ate or that I was not exercising. Maybe the aches and pains in my body were part of my wake-up call. Or maybe it was because my clothes were becoming increasingly snug, or perhaps it was my puffy face with lackluster eyes staring at me in the mirror.

Emotions and excuses were my pass to eat. I felt so many things were out of my control, and thought eating was the one "sure thing." Within the past year, I was in a career transition: Downsized after 16 years making a damn good salary, I wasn't sure what I was going to do to earn a living. I had a couple ideas, but it meant starting over. I took on a new job, which was a lot of adjusting and pressure to perform well. On top of that, a close loved one was dealing with health issues. It seemed so much was out of my control, and I increasingly turned to food as comfort and avoidance of issues. Bouts of anxiety led to nibbling, gnoshing, stashing and hiding food, and gobbling whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted.

I was far gone, deep in overindulgence.

You know how the average person will eat after they feel a hunger pang in their stomach? I knew something had to change when I considered this, and realized I didn't know when was the last time I had felt a hunger pang. That's not good, because I read somewhere that your organs need a chance to rest from digesting food. My organs seem to have been speaking to me in a weary voice: "Please, we are doing all we can, but you've got us on overload and working overtime!"

Now it's been a couple weeks of prayer, journaling (food log), and increased discipline. Yes, even after only a couple weeks, I feel so much better. I want to do right by my body and put whole, nourishing foods in my body. I want to be active. Instead of watching people live their lives on reality shows and as I went about my day, I decided that I want to "get in the game," so to speak. That is, the game of life. I want to live. And I am so thankful to my Lord and Savior Jesus for showing me the way, and giving me the mind to try yet again to get this thing right.

And I believe you want to live, too, or you wouldn't be seeking inspiration from this blog. Let's walk, jog, bike, swim, stroll this journey together. There will be times when we don't feel like eating healthy, or feel like getting exercise. It's ok to feel that way, we just don't want to stay in those feelings, or it could turn into a rut, then a valley that we may have trouble getting out of.

Do you have comments or ideas for topics we should cover here? Contact me at escribemama@gmail.com.

1 comment:

  1. I really needed to read this. Thank you for more than you know.

    ReplyDelete